Register for this Event
Please join the Atlantic Council Global Energy Center for an Atlantic Council launch of and discussion about Robert McNally’s new book, Crude Volatility: The History and the Future of Boom-Bust Oil Prices.
As OPEC has loosened its grip over the past ten years, the oil market has been rocked by wild price swings, the likes of which haven’t been seen for eight decades. Crafting an engrossing journey from the gushing Pennsylvania oil fields of the 1860s to today’s fraught and fractious Middle East, Crude Volatility explains how past periods of stability and volatility in oil prices help us understand the new boom-bust era. Oil’s notorious volatility has always been considered a scourge afflicting not only the oil industry but also the broader economy and geopolitical landscape.
Robert McNally makes sense of how oil became so central to our world and why it is subject to such extreme price fluctuations. Crude Volatility received wide acclaim from leading energy experts and investors including Daniel Yergin, Scott Sheffield, Paul Tudor Jones, and Paul Horsnell and was reviewed favorably in the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, and Petroleum Economist. Robert McNally and Crude Volatility received the Honorable Mention in Economics in the 2018 PROSE Awards.
A presentation of Crude Volatility, from author Robert McNally, will be followed by a panel discussion with other experts about the book’s central themes.
Introductory remarks by:
- Randolph Bell, Director, Global Energy Center, Atlantic CouncilSpeaker’s remarks by:
- Robert McNally, Founder and President, Rapidan Energy GroupA conversation with:
- David Goldwyn, Chairman, Energy Advisory Group, Atlantic Council
- Leslie Hayward, Vice President, Content and Communications Strategy, Securing America’s Future Energy
- Robert McNally, Founder and President, Rapidan Energy Group
- Brian Scheid, Senior Editor, Oil News
S&P Global Platts Lunch will be served.
Atlantic Council - 12th Floor (West Tower)
1030 15th Street NW
Washington DC USA 20005