Register for this Event
Coming Full Circle with Sustainability: A Workshop on Building a Circular Economy in the DMV Region
Join Leaders in Energy on Thursday, September 28th, 5:30-8:30 pm, at the University of the District of Columbia for our 3rd annual circular economy event. We will feature a number of initiatives which are nurturing a circular economy ecosystem in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) region. Presenters will provide examples of success stories of the circular economy and share their expertise on components of the circular economy including urban farming and workforce development, local business, advanced manufacturing focused on utilizing local resources and labor, ecoindustrial parks, and regional economic development. A summary of key circular economy concepts is available in this 3-minute video by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation.
In this workshop, you will:
- Network with those who share a passion for sustainability as a lens for assessing systems;
- Learn from those utilizing and/or developing circular economy practices;
- Engage with others in small group discussion on how to expand these practices in business, our communities, and daily lives to accelerate the circular economy;
- Develop an action framework to further enable the circular economy in our region; and
- Receive a list of tools and resources on the circular economy.
- Barbara Englehart, Principal, Englehart Consulting and Leaders in Energy, Board Member
- Janine Finnell, Executive Director, Leaders in Energy
- Dwane Jones, Ph.D., Director of the Center for Sustainable Development, College of Agriculture, Urban Sustainability and Environmental Sciences (CAUSES), University of District of Columbia
- David Woessner, General Manager, Local Motors, Inc.
- Peter Lowitt, Director/Land Use Administrator for the Devens Enterprise Commission, the agency charged with permitting the redevelopment of the former Fort Devens army base in Massachusetts into the Devens Eco-Industrial Park (by Skype)
- Jim Schulman, Executive Manager of the Alliance for Regional Cooperation, a regional economic development organization
- Beth Offenbacker, Ph.D., Facilitator, Waterford, Inc.
School of Business, University of the District of Columbia
4200 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
Washington DC 20008